This easy fried chicken is perfect for a 4th of July picnic with potato salad and all the fixings. Recipe Source: Bon Appetit (July 1982).
- Rinse chicken pieces, pat dry and place in a shallow dish for marinating.
- Pour buttermilk over chicken and marinate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Combine flour, salt, sage, paprika and pepper in paper bag.
- Add chicken and shake to cover.
- Dip chicken in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour oil into large skillet to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 375°F or until water spatters when sprinkled on oil.
- Add chicken legs and thighs first.
- Fry until browned about 10-12 minutes before adding remaining pieces, frying another 10 minutes or until brown.
- Drain chicken on paper towels before serving.