Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Until the mid-19th century in Japan, religion generally prohibited the eating of meat. Tofu is called "meat from the fields" because it is made from soybeans and is high in protein. For centuries, tofu has been a very important food in Japan, not only because of religion but also for health reasons. Agedashi dofu is deep fried tofu with a soysauce based sauce. Really yummy and few ingredients.
- Wrap tofu with paper towel and place it on a cutting board.
- Put another cutting board or a plate on top the tofu to remove water from tofu.
- Put konbu dashi, soy sauce, and mirin in a pan and heat.
- When the sauce boils, add starch mixture and mix quickly.
- Dry tofu with paper towel and cut each tofu in half.
- Dust tofu with potatostarch.
- Fry tofu in 350 F oil until it turns brown. Place each fried tofu in a small dish and pour the sauce over it.
- Put grated ginger on top of each tofu.