Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oh, this just sounded sinfully delicious when I received it in an email from gourmet-recipes-from-aound-the-world. A bit fiddly but I suspect worth every moment. This is one reserved for the innermost circle LOL! Thank you Fawnette!
For the Tuna
- 8 ounces ahi
- 4 nori
- 1 bunch spinach, stemmed and diced
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Janese breadcrumbs)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
For the Wasabi Ginger Butter Sauce
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon wasabi
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 ounce shoyu
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 1 ounce cubes
- For the Wasabi Ginger Butter Sauce:.
- Put shallot, ginger, wasabi and rice vinegar in sauce pan on medium high heat and allow vinegar to reduce to about 1 tablespoon. Add cream and reduce by one half. Add shoyu and turn heat to low. Whisk in butter cubes one at a time until incorporated. Remove from heat.
- For the Tuna:.
- Cut ahi into pieces as long as a nori wrapper and 1 inch thick. Spread nori sheets out. Line with spinach. Place one piece of ahi on each sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Top again with spinach. Roll and seal with water.
- Beat eggs with water and flour. Consistency should be the same as pancake batter. Put flour in one plate and panko in another. Roll wrapped ahi into flour, then into batter mixture and then into the panko breading making sure all parts are covered. Deep fry in hot oil. Turn constantly to allow even browning. Remove and slice.
- Place about 1 ounce of Wasabi-ginger Sauce on plate. Slice ahi rolls into pieces and arrange on sauce.