Recipe submitted per a request for Amazon fish. Source of recipe is The Turtle Bay Cookbook. Cook time is frying time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced jicama
- 1/2 cup drained diced tomato
For curry sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets, skin removed
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying fish
- 1/4 cup spicy roasted peanuts, for garnish (store bought or use recipe that follows) (optional)
- 1To make sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.
- 2Add onion and cook over medium heat until onion turns color and is golden brown (5 minutes).
- 3Add 1 cup curry sauce (recipe follows) and bring liquid to a boil.
- 4Add the jicama and the tomatoes.
- 5Reduce heat to low and let simmer 2 minutes.
- 6Set aside but keep warm while preparing fish.
- 7To make fish: Beat eggs, water, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- 8Pour flour in separate pie plate or dish.
- 9Combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal in a third pie plate or dish.
- 10Coat the fish with four, then dip in egg mixture and finally dredge then in the cornmeal mixture.
- 11Make sure both sides of fish are coated.
- 12Set aside until all four pieces of fish are prepared for frying.
- 13Heat 1/2 inch oil oil to 350°F in a heavy skillet (suitable for frying fish).
- 14Add 2 pieces of fish and cook over medium heat, turning once, until brown (6-8 minutes).
- 15Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 16Repeat with remaining fish.
- 17Top with sauce and garnish with spicy roasted peanuts (recipe follows).
- 18To make curry sauce (makes 5 cups of sauce): Heat oil in sauce pan.
- 19Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- 20Cook over medium heat until onion is soft (5 minutes).
- 21Add flour a spoonful at a time, stirring constantly until paste forms.
- 22Slowly add the water and then the pineapple juice.
- 23Stir constantly to avoid getting lumps.
- 24When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to low and add curry powder, raisins, coconut, bananas, almonds, salt and sugar.
- 25Simmer until sauce has been reduced by 1/4 (10-15 minutes).
- 26Transfer mixture to blender and puree.
- 27Place mixture in sieve over bowl and strain mixture, reserving liquid and discarding solids.
- 28Sauce may be served immediately or refrigerated covered in an airtight container.
- 29If refrigerated, reheat sauce before using.
- 30To make spicy roasted peanuts (makes 2 cups): One (1-lb) can honey roasted peanuts 2 tablespoons habanero hot sauce Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 31Combine peanuts and hot sauce in bowl.
- 32Stir until peanuts are coated.
- 33Spread nuts on cookie sheet.
- 34Bake until nuts are dry (8-10 minutes).
- 35Store nuts in a covered container, however do not put nuts in container until they are completely cooled.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazon Catfish
Serving Size: 1 (887 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1086.1
- Calories from Fat 430
- Total Fat 47.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 185.6 mg
- Sodium 1368.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 53.6 g
- Protein 44.1 g