Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe submitted per a request for Amazon fish. Source of recipe is The Turtle Bay Cookbook. Cook time is frying time.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced jicama
- 1⁄2 cup drained diced tomato
For curry sauce
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets, skin removed
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying fish
- 1⁄4 cup spicy roasted peanuts, for garnish (store bought or use recipe that follows) (optional)
- To make sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until onion turns color and is golden brown (5 minutes).
- Add 1 cup curry sauce (recipe follows) and bring liquid to a boil.
- Add the jicama and the tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 2 minutes.
- Set aside but keep warm while preparing fish.
- To make fish: Beat eggs, water, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Pour flour in separate pie plate or dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal in a third pie plate or dish.
- Coat the fish with four, then dip in egg mixture and finally dredge then in the cornmeal mixture.
- Make sure both sides of fish are coated.
- Set aside until all four pieces of fish are prepared for frying.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil oil to 350°F in a heavy skillet (suitable for frying fish).
- Add 2 pieces of fish and cook over medium heat, turning once, until brown (6-8 minutes).
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- Top with sauce and garnish with spicy roasted peanuts (recipe follows).
- To make curry sauce (makes 5 cups of sauce): Heat oil in sauce pan.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is soft (5 minutes).
- Add flour a spoonful at a time, stirring constantly until paste forms.
- Slowly add the water and then the pineapple juice.
- Stir constantly to avoid getting lumps.
- When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to low and add curry powder, raisins, coconut, bananas, almonds, salt and sugar.
- Simmer until sauce has been reduced by 1/4 (10-15 minutes).
- Transfer mixture to blender and puree.
- Place mixture in sieve over bowl and strain mixture, reserving liquid and discarding solids.
- Sauce may be served immediately or refrigerated covered in an airtight container.
- If refrigerated, reheat sauce before using.
- To make spicy roasted peanuts (makes 2 cups): One (1-lb) can honey roasted peanuts 2 tablespoons habanero hot sauce Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine peanuts and hot sauce in bowl.
- Stir until peanuts are coated.
- Spread nuts on cookie sheet.
- Bake until nuts are dry (8-10 minutes).
- Store nuts in a covered container, however do not put nuts in container until they are completely cooled.