I know sounds a little kinky! What more can a turkey want? I brined, injected, rubbed, and deep fried this turkey for the Fourth of July. This recipe is here for you to play with. You can choice one or all of these methods for making your turkey. This is a quick way to cook a turkey. I had a 14 pound turkey cooked in 35 minutes. All in the time is in the prep. Make sure to remove plastic leg holder and pop up timer. Giblets and neck can be used for an other use(Stock).I gave this 15 hours of passive work time. Brining is good at 10 hours. Take note the turkey looks burnt but its not its all the dry rub and being deep fried. Everyone picks at the crispy skin as it's being craved. It's a no wonder that no fingers get? It's wonderful. Yes you can just brine, dry rub, inject AND OR deep fry this recipe. You'll find any of all options or one way wonderful.
- 1 (14 -16 lb) whole turkey (completely thawed, not a self basting or kosher, they have to much salt in them)
- 1 cup coarse salt or 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 4 oolong tea bags
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 1 inch ginger, sliced lengthwise
- 10 whole allspice
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 quarts cold water
Optional Injection liquid
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, slightly smashed skin removed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sage leaves
- cracked black pepper, to season
Optional Dry rub
- 1⁄2 cup dry rub seasonings (I use Cajun Spice Rub Mix Recipe or Sweet and Spicy Dry Rub on Ribs or Salmon)
- In a very large pot (big enough to hold turkey) bring all the brine ingredients but turkey to boil then lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and cool.
- Add washed turkey to cooled apple mixture and cover with ice cold water making sure turkey is completely submerged adding more water if needed.
- Refrigerate for 10 to 15 hours just so the turkey absorbs the brine.
- Meanwhile make injection liquid by adding cup butter, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sage and cracked black pepper to season in a pot. Bring to a slow simmer for 10 to 15 minutes removing any water for butter and bringing out the flavors of the herbs.
- Cool drain herbs and garlic set aside for placing under the skin of the turkey.
- Remove turkey from brine discard brine and rinse turkey towel dry inside and out.
- Inject dry turkey in breasts and thighs the night before cooking with the butter mixture.
- Take the garlic and herbs that was set aside and place under the skin of the turkey.
- Place the turkey uncovered on a rack in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat peanut oil to 350°F.
- Rub turkey with any oil mixture that escaped while sitting overnight then rub inside and out of turkey with dry rub mixture.
- Tie legs and wings to body with cotton string.
- Lower breast side up into hot oil.
- Be cautious of hot splattering oil.
- Maintain oil temp at 350°F.
- Fry 3 minutes a pound till 180°F.
- Remove from oil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve and eat.
i just brine my turkey. I used apple Cinnamon tea and it was so good! I couldn't believe it was so good! I was surprised how much flavor it gave my turkey.
Awesome. Our family has deep fried a turkey at Thanksgiving for a few years now and this was the best recipe I have found. The meat was tender and juicy and a nice apple flavor. I was so glad to see it here again this year.
The brine was amazing. Everyone enjoyed the turkey. Thanks!