This is a typical Venezuelan dish (I'm Venezuelan), and I like to make it a lot since now I live in Spain. Everyone who has tried it loves them, so I thought I'd share it with everyone at Recipezaar.
- Mix the water and the egg yolk.
- In a large bowl mix the flour and the egg/water mixture.
- Mix and kneed the dough for about 5 minutes until it is compact.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a deep fryer to 170ºC, or fill a frying pan with lots of oil and heat.
- Take a small ball of the dough, the size of an egg and mold into a flat circle, about 1 cm thick.
- Fry until golden brown, turning regularly.
- Turn out onto crumpled absorbent paper and leave to cool slightly.
- Split them open (like a pita bread) and fill with cheese, ham, butter, honey or whatever you wish. (If there is too much "fluff" inside, you can remove it with a spoon, leaving only the outer shell).
- Serve immediately--they don't keep and don't re-heat.