1/1 Photo of Asher's Aloo Bondas
These are DELICIOUS potato balls. They are full of flavor, perfect for an appetizer or just an afternoon snack! We LOVE these... I cant get enough of them! hehe My fiance made these for me for the first time on my birthday this year! Best birthday snack EVER! :D Besan flour, also known as chickpea flour, can be found in most asian markets, and even some health food stores. Cooking time is the time it takes to make one batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled,peeled and mashed loosely
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 large jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds left in)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups besan flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, enough for deep frying
- 1In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil, and add your mustard seeds.
- 2When the mustard seeds begin to sputter, add the cumin seeds, jalapeno, salt, ginger and garlic.
- 3Fry these ingredients for just a few seconds and then add the onions and turmeric.
- 4When the onions begin to brown, add your cilantro and lemon juice and then add the potatoes.
- 5Mix well, being careful not to mash the potatoes anymore, and turn off the heat.
- 6Allow this mixture to cool completely.
- 7After the mixture has cooled, begin to shape the mixture into small balls, approximately 1 inch in diameter.
- 8In a medium sized bowl, make a thick batter with your besan flour, cayenne, baking soda and salt, using enough water to make a thick batter.
- 9Heat your oil in a deep fryer or something large enough to deep fry in.
- 10Take a potato ball, coat it in the batter, and then carefully drop it into the heated oil.
- 11Turn the bonda every four minutes, cooking for approximately 15 minutes (more or less) until golden brown.
- 12Repeat with the rest of the potato balls, cooking as many as you'd like at a time, without crowding them.
- 13Serve these with chutney of your choice.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asher's Aloo Bondas
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.1
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 448.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: