You might want to consider doubling this recipe, I ate practically all of these myself they are that good!. Don't be tempted to over-stuff the wrappers with filling or they will not seal properly. Plan ahead the filling needs to chill for a minimum of 4 hours before using.
- 3⁄4 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork (use pork only not beef!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, well drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 large green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 15 spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Finely chop the fresh shrimp.
- In a bowl stir together the chopped shrimp 1 egg, pork and the next 8 ingredients; mix well to combine.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours to blend the flavors before using.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of mixture in the center of each spring roll wrapper.
- Fold the top corner of each wrapper over the filling, tucking tip of corner under the filling, then fold left and right corners over filling.
- Lightly brush remaining corner with beaten egg.
- Tightly roll filled end toward remaining corner, then gently press to seal.
- Pour about 2-inches of oil in a skillet and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry the spring rolls a couple at a time only for about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a brown paper bag or paper towels.