These tasty morsels are always popular as an appetizer and team well with the sweet chili dipping sauce. Add more chilies to the sauce if you like it hot! You can obtain fish sauce (and also a sweet chili dipping sauce, if you prefer not to make your own) in an Asian food store. The fritters can also be served with my Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, posted separately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Shrimp and Ginger Fritters
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 1/2 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying, preferably peanut oil)
Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- 1Shrimp and Ginger Fritters: Place the breadcrumbs and coconut milk together in a bowl, and set aside.
- 2Place the shrimp meat, ginger, cilantro, egg and fish sauce into a food processor bowl, and pulse until the mixture is combined.
- 3It is important not to over-mix or otherwise it will turn into a paste!
- 4Add the breadcrumbs, which by now should have absorbed all the coconut milk, and pulse until just blended.
- 5Heat the vegetable oil over high heat, or to 350 degrees F (180 C) in a deep-fryer.
- 6Drop rounded tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil, and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- 7Do this in batches.
- 8As the fritters cook, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper, and keep warm in a low oven.
- 9Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce: Place all ingredients in a blender and whizz until blended and sugar is dissolved.
- 10Serve in a small bowl (it yields 1 cup) to accompany the Asian Shrimp and Ginger Fritters.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Shrimp and Ginger Fritters with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1057 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.6 mg
- Sodium 623.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar