1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is for those that have access to a store that sells Mexican groceries. Often it is hard to distinguish the fresh cheeses, such as queso blanco or panela from the melting cheeses like queso oaxaca. Either will work in this recipe. Just don't use a hard cheese like cotiga which is a hard cheese sililar to parmesan. I have been searching for the chile rellenos that I loved as a child that came from the Sawtelle Deli in West Los Angeles in the 60's. It's really not as hard as it looks and the taste is far superior to the chile relleno casseroles that are popular, IMHO.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sauce (Optional )
- 1Place the chiles directly on the burner of a gas stove until mostly blackened on each side.
- 2Put the cooked chiles in a plastic vegetable grocery bag for 30 minutes. Toss them around a bit so that the bag doesn't get a hole in it from the heat.
- 3Peel the blackened skin from the chiles with your fingers. It's not important to get every bit of skin off.
- 4Slice each chili on one side from stem to bottom.
- 5Remove most of the seeds and membranes. (If you like them really hot, omit this step).
- 6Cut the cheese into 1/2 wide slices and as long as the chiles.
- 7Stuff the cheese into each chile.
- 8Roll in flour.
- 9Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold in the yolks. (If doubling the recipe make two batches of stiffened egg as the eggs will fall quickly).
- 10Drop chiles into egg batter and fluff it around them.
- 11Slide them into1 1/2" deep hot oil, one or two at a time until golden brown and turn to brown the other side.
- 12Drain on paper towels.
- 13Serve immediately or bake in oven for 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. If you have a convection oven, use it the feature as it makes them really crispy on the outside.
- 14Sauce: Combine all ingedients in a saucepan and let simmer until the rellenos are done. Serve on the side or cover the rellenos with it at serving.
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chile Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2131.0
- Calories from Fat 2029
- Total Fat 225.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 279.0 mg
- Sodium 116.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: