Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Probably the most popular recipe in the Bahamian/Caribbean cuisine. Fresh Conch isn't always easy to find, and it has to be fresh. Be careful to keep it refrigerated and use as soon as possible.
- 4 conch, finely minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour (enough to bind batter)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper, Bahamian hot pepper sauce (or equal)
- 4 cups vegetable oil, as much as needed
- 1. Combine conch with chopped vegetables.
- 2. Add egg.
- 3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and add to conch mixture.
- 4. Season to taste.
- 5. Form into balls 1 - 2 inches in size.
- 6. Heat oil in a deep skillet to 375 deg. To prevent cooling the oil too quickly, drop one fritter at a time into the pan, waiting a few seconds before adding additional fritters.
- 7. Fry 3 - 5 minutes until golden brown on all sides, turning the fritters as they rise to the surface.
- 8. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with Key Lime Mustard Sauce (recipe to come) or other coctail sauce.