Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful dessert i got from my mother. It may seem like a lot of work, but well worth the effort!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- lemon, juice of
- In a large saucepan, heat water and butter until butter melts.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat source, add flour and baking powder, mix well, then return to the heat and mix.
- Form dough into a ball in the center.
- Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add vanilla with 5th egg.
- (This is a basic Cream Puffs recipe, if you pipe onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375F degrees for 2/3 minutes, you can fill with whipped cream and top with melted chocolate, then chill.)
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag with a medium star tip (pipe into 3-inch long lengths), and deep fry in corn oil until lightly browned.
- Pour sugar syrup over"balah-isham" while still warm.
- Sugar syrup: put water, sugar and lemon in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Should thicken when it cools.
Funnel Cake!! Maybe mine became funnel cake because I used a smaller star tip but they were great!! Light and airy not too sweet alone but with the lemon syrup... ohhh you could be in trouble! I would suggest making the syrup first so it has time to cool and thicken. Those these would be delicious with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and some strawberries.