This is a wonderful dessert i got from my mother. It may seem like a lot of work, but well worth the effort!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1In a large saucepan, heat water and butter until butter melts.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Remove from the heat source, add flour and baking powder, mix well, then return to the heat and mix.
- 4Form dough into a ball in the center.
- 5Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- 6Add vanilla with 5th egg.
- 7(This is a basic Cream Puffs recipe, if you pipe onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375F degrees for 2/3 minutes, you can fill with whipped cream and top with melted chocolate, then chill.)
- 8Spoon dough into a pastry bag with a medium star tip (pipe into 3-inch long lengths), and deep fry in corn oil until lightly browned.
- 9Pour sugar syrup over"balah-isham" while still warm.
- 10Sugar syrup: put water, sugar and lemon in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
- 11Should thicken when it cools.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balah-Isham (Deep fried "cream puffs" pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 252.1 mg
- Sodium 362.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g