I found this recipe in my Mother's Recipe Box. It looks as though it was clipped from a magazine. The description to the recipe states as follows: " The Koran says that the fatal fruit in the Garden of Eden was a banana, not an apple. If Eve offered Adam banana fritters drenched in brandy sauce it's no wonder he succumbed to temptation." Enjoy ; )
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 -3 firm bananas
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Combine the egg, milk and melted shortening; add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- This will make a very stiff batter, but it will remain refreshingly crisp for some time after it's been cooked.
- Cut each of the bananas into 3 chunks, dust with flour and coat with the fritter batter.
- Fry in hot deep oil (375 F) until golden brown, turning often.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To Make Brandy Sauce:.
- Measure the sugar, cornstarch and salt into a saucepan.
- Gradually add the boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until clear and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter, brandy and nutmeg.
- Serve warm over banana fritters.