Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Fresh asparagus spears are dipped in a seasoned wine-batter and fried until crispy and golden brown. This is a perfect recipe to disguise vegetables for picky eaters. Serve them as a side dish, appetizer, or anytime snack with either one or both of the dipping sauces. COOK'S TIP: Keep this easy wine-batter recipe on hand to use with other vegetables as well as seafood, fish, and chicken tenders.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 -30 fresh asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- corn or vegetable oil
HERB DIPPING SAUCE
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped herbs (chervil, tarragon, parsley and chives)
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
LEMON DIPPING SAUCE
- 1After cutting off the tough stems of the asparagus, wash well and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Place oven rack in the middle position; preheat oven to 200°F
- 3In a bowl wide enough to easily batter-coat the spears, add the flour, egg, wine, lemon zest, onion powder, celery salt, Kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Whisk together until well blended; batter should be on the thickish side. Let sit at least one (1) hour.
- 4For the dipping sauces:.
- 5HERB: Mix all of the herbs with the mayonnaise, season to taste. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.
- 6LEMON: Stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Chill, covered, until ready to serve
- 7Blanch the asparagus spears in boiling water. Drain, immediately run VERY cold water over them; blot dry on paper towels and set aside.
- 8Heat 3 inches oil in a 3 to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until it registers 375°F on a deep-fat thermometer. (COOK'S TIP: Remember to return the oil to 375°F between batches of asparagus.).
- 9Dip the asparagus spears ONE-AT-A-TIME in the batter - Coat completely. Gently lower the spear into the hot oil. Repeat with remaining asparagus spears, but DO NOT CROWD. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turning with a slotted spoon until lighlty golden.
- 10Remove each asparagus spear with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet; if desired, sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt. Keep warm in the pre-heated oven for up to 20 minutes.
- 11Serve warm with one or both of the dipping sauces.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Batter Fried Asparagus With Herb or Lemon Dipping Sauces
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.6
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 225.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: