Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
try these you wont regret it!
Make and share this Batter-fried mussels with garlic sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs fresh mussels
- oil (for frying)
Garlic-Walnut Dipping Sauce
- 4 -6 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 cups stale crumbled bread, without crusts
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Wash the mussels, scrubbing their shells and pulling off the little"beard" with a sharp paring knife.
- Place the mussels in a large wide pot with about two inches of water.
- Cover and steam until the mussels open, about six or seven minutes.
- Remove and drain, discarding any mussels that haven't opened.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and place in a colander.
- Season lightly with salt and toss with about one and a half cups of flour, until all the mussels are coated.
- Tap the colander to rid it of excess flour.
- Fill a large skillet with about one and a half inches of oil and heat until almost smoking.
- Add the mussels, in batches i f necessary and fry until crisp and golden.
- Serve warm Either in a mortar or pestle or in the bowl of a food processor, pulverize the garlic and salt to a paste.
- Add the walnuts and pound or pulverize until the mixture is mealy.
- Dampen the bread under the tap and squeeze dry.
- Add to the bowl and continue pulverizing all together.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between each, and pound all together until the skordalia is creamy.
- If it is too thick, add a little water.
- Serve as a dip, or as an accompaniment to fresh or fried vegetables and various fish.