Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/2 cup oil and egg; beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil for frying and stir until well blended.
- Dip shrimp into batter to coat.
- Drop shrimp into hot oil and fry for 30-60 seconds or until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to batter to make a much lighter crust, or use beer instead of milk for a barley flavor.
These were nice and crispy when first taken out of the fryer, but after sitting for just a bit, the batter lost its crispiness, so by the time we'd fried the last of the shrimp, the first ones were somewhat soggy. Very easy to do though.
Great, light crust! I've tried dozens of recipes for shrimp, usually with heavy flour crust--be sure to use the baking powder--this one is light, quick, easy. It has good flavor (adjust with Tony's, Ball's, etc to taste), try different oils (corn, veg, peanut) for another different taste. We chopped okra & squash ahead, dipped in leftover batter after shrimp finished--quick fried veggies for sides. Only seconds to cook, whole meal ready in a hurry--one fry pan, quick clean up!
I screwed up somewhere along the way, so I have shrimp topped on breading, it's still delicious.