Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is outstanding and is from Foodnetwork - Ultimate Recipe Showdown - Recipe courtesy Eboni Williams, Grand Prize Winner in the Fried Chicken category. Chicken Wings deep fried and drizzled with tropical sauce, brings these wings "Over The Top"!
Pomegranate and Mango Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mango, pitted and peeled
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 apple cider vinegar
- 6 -10 cups vegetable oil (depending on size of wings)
- 2 dozen chicken drummettes
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Puree the mango flesh in a food processor or blender (water may be needed to puree).
- Transfer puree to a large saucepan, and add remaining ingredients for the barbecue sauce. Mix together until all ingredients are combined, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for about 30-45 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Heat oil to 350 in a large Dutch oven or electric fryer.
- Rinse the chicken drumettes, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl or resealable bag, combine remaining salt and pepper with the flour and paprika.
- In a separate dish, mix together the eggs and evaporated milk until well combined.
- Roll the seasoned chicken pieces in the flour, a few at a time, until well coated.
- Dip chicken in the milk and egg mixture, followed by another coat of seasoned flour.
- Allow the chicken to sit in the flour and dry out for about 5 minutes, ensuring that the coating will stay on better.
- Carefully add the chicken pieces to the fryer as will fit without touching. Do not crowd the pan or the temperature will lower, making the chicken greasy.
- Fry for 5 minutes, then turn the pieces over and fry the other side 5 minutes. Cook for about 10 minutes total, or until the pieces begin to float.
- Remove chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, about 5 minutes.
- To Serve:.
- Place the fried wings in a large bowl and toss with the barbecue sauce (or less, to taste).
- Refrigerate any leftover barbecue sauce.