Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These taquitos are so good. They can be frozen ahead of time and pulled out a few at a time for a quick dinner. Prep time includes 4 hours freeze time and 6 hours crock pot time. Also the cook time is specific to baking time, it is less if you fry them.
- Place the roast in a crock pot. Add the garlic cloves, onion, bouillon cubes, and cover the roast with water. Cook on high for 6 hours. Once the roast is cooked and fork tender cool the roast until cool enough to handle and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan on medium heat.
- While the oil is heating you can start to assemble the meat for the taquitos.
- Place the shredded meat, shredded cheese, and green chiles in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Now that your oil is heated add one tortilla at a time into the hot oil for 20 seconds on each side to "soften" the tortilla. As each tortilla is softened place them on a plate stacked on top of each other.
- Once you have about 40 tortillas "softened" you can start preparing the taquitos.
- Line an aluminum pan with wax paper to place your prepared taquitos on.
- On a seperate plate, place two tablespoons of the meat mixture in the middle of a "softened" tortilla in the shape of a line going all the way across the tortilla. Gently fold one side of the tortilla over to meet the other side (it doesnt have to line up exactly. Carefully and tightly roll the tortilla into the shape of a cigar. Place the taquito seam side down on the wax paper lined pan.
- Continue to roll the remaining tortillas. If there is leftover meat soften more tortillas to continue rolling taquitos until all the meat is gone. Cover the taquitos with plastic wrap and place the pan in the freezer for 4 hours.
- If you are ready to prepare them you can bake them on an ungreased baking sheet for 11 minutes on 400 degrees or dry them in a pan on medium high for 2 minutes each side in two cups of oil. To keep them frozen simply take them from the pan and put the taquitos in a ziploc bag to prevent them from getting freezer burn. They freeze for up to one month.