Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 mins
This recipe can be doubled. Plan ahead there is 30 minutes marinating time, and 20 minutes of freezing time. If your coconut strands are very long then either chop or process then to make them smaller, they will stick better to the beer/flour batter. The sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance. Purchase large shrimp for this, and the shrimp must be deveined and butterflied.
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup coarse-ground mustard
- 15 -17 large unpeeled fresh shrimp
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 1 (7 ounce) package sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (use dry only!)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- For the dipping sauce; in a bowl combine all ingredients; cover and chill until ready to use.
- For the shrimp; peel the shrimp leaving the tails on.
- Butterfly the shrimp by making a deep slit down the back of each from the large end to the tail cutting to, but not through inside curve of shrimp.
- In a large bowl stir together coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice.
- Add in the shrimp; toss to coat; cover and chill for about 25-30 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp but DO NOT pat dry.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and beer.
- In a shallow dish combine the shredded coconut with flour and cayenne (if using.
- Dip the shrimp into the beer batter, then dredge in the coconut/flour mixture (pressing with fingers to adhear).
- Place the shrimp on a baking sheet then freeze for 20 minutes.
- Pour oil into a Dutch oven to depth of 2-inches.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Cook the shrimp in batches (2-3 minutes, or until golden).
- Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Serve immediately with prepared dipping sauce.
Yummmmm!!! I made this for my husband and I...he could not stop telling me how delicious it was! I have wanted to make cocount shrimp for the longest time, since one of my fave restaurants has this on its menu...why waste the money going out when you can have gourment amazing shrimp at home? The sauce was great too...I'll definitely make this again!