Robert Anderson's Note:
I created this recipe myself after seeing a similar dish on a supper club menu. It has been a smash on the occasions I served it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium lobster tail, for each serving
- 1 cup Bisquick (or similar baking mix)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 8 ounces beer
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, to taste (I use Frank's)
- oil (for deep frying)
- drawn butter, for dipping (this is definitely not lo-cal You can use a mild tartar or a creamy fresh-herb dip of your own desig)
- 1Prepare Beer Batter--"the longer it sits, the better it gits".
- 2Mix dry ingredients, set aside.
- 3Mix liquids (incl. egg) add to dry and mix just until no longer lumpy.
- 4While the batter sits covered on the kitchen counter (no refrig. necessary) shell the tails by cutting from the thick end over the hump of the top of the shell with a heavy duty kitchen scissors.
- 5This is easiest if tails are partially frozen.
- 6Slice tails into 1/2 inch thick medallions, drain on paper towels.
- 7When 2 inches of frying oil is good and hot for deep frying, drop battered medallions, a single layer deep into hot oil, cooking in batches so as to prevent sticking together.
- 8Drain on a paper grocery bag covered with paper towel.
- 9Small batches can be kept warm in a medium high oven
- 10Serve hot with drawn butter with rice or potato dish and a nice herb salad.
- 11A semi sweet white wine goes nicely.
- 12Any leftover batter can be used to fry up some cut veggies such as cauliflower, okra, onions, mushrooms or dill pickle slices, but MUST be used immediately or be tossed out.
- 13If you do the veggies, wash 'em and coat 'em in a little flour or cornstarch to help the batter stick, if you like. (not imperative, but it'll help)
Browse Our Top Lobster Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Battered Lobster Medallions
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 946.3
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 213.9 mg
- Sodium 1990.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 145.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: