Delicate flowers turned into a delicious treat lovely with your tea or coffee. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Beat egg whites with sugar until frothy; set to the side.
- For the batter: Separate eggs; whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until light; add sugar and salt, beat well.
- Add flour to yolk mixture and beat again.
- Add orange juice, melted butter and just enough water to make about the consistency of pancake batter.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Preheat oil to 365°F.
- Soak flowers in egg white-sugar froth.
- Immediately, dip into beignet batter and drop from spoon into hot oil and fry to a golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.