Bennigan's makes the most awesome Monte Cristo sandwiches. A great break from the usual toasted ham & cheese.
- Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread.
- Place third slice.
- in-between and secure the triple-decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.
- Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together.
- Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Beat batter until smooth.
- Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface.
- Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden.
- When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks.
- Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle.
- with powder sugar.
- Serve with Raspberry jam.
Boy were these babies good! I really liked making this recipe, and it didn't take very long. We had a nice lunch of these sandwiches and fruit salad. All of the flavors together were so good. Thanks for sharing this keeper!!
Since our local Bennigans recently locked its doors, I was lamenting that I may never enjoy a proper Monte Cristo sandwich until I found this recipe. I just made 3 sandwiches today for my family and they were fabulous. I followed some advice found on another site and prepped the sandwiches last night, wrapped them tighly in plastic wrap (uncut) and stored them in refridge overnight. They stayed together well during cooking without needing toothpicks. The ingredients I used were: Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Shaved Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Shaved Honey Ham Jewel Brand Swiss Singles Jewel Brand American Singles Jewel Brand Wheat Bread Smucker's Red Raspberry Preserves I've posted a photo of my success with this tasty recipe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30507067@N07/2856368581/
Followed recipe exactly and fried in deep fryer. Tastes amazingly good even without perserves to dip in. Thanks for a wonderful recipe