1/1 Photo of Better-than-storebought Mozzarella Sticks
You'll never buy frozen mozzarella sticks again! These are easy and absolute delicious with none of the unhealthy additives of the commercial kind. I serve these with my own Angie's Bella Marinara sauce (with the spices punched up a little), but these would also be good with a creamy ranch-style dip. Vary the herbs in the breading if you like, but I like this combination with the marinara sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 pieces mozzarella string cheese, each cut in half.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (like Progresso)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying (approximately 2 cups)
- 1In a small bowl, combine egg and water.
- 2In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic salt, oregano and basil.
- 3In a third bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- 4In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- 5Moisten each mozzarella stick half in the egg mixture, then dip each one in the bread crumbs and finally the flour mixture.
- 6Repeat this 3-step process.
- 7By now your fingers are going to be a total mess; just hang in there, it's sooooo worth it!
- 8Carefully place breaded mozzarella sticks in the hot oil; don't overcrowd (only about 4 at a time).
- 9Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- 10Remove from oil with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Better-than-storebought Mozzarella Sticks
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.5
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 160.1 mg
- Sodium 937.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 31.4 g