Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My friends in N'awlins inform me that "river cat" is better then the farmed fish so do try to get it if you can so they won't use the doll that looks like me.
- 3 lbs catfish fillets, cut in 8 pieces
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, finely ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pat outside if fish with paper towel to remove extra moisture.
- In shallow dish, combine all dry ingredients except flour.
- Dip fish in buttermilk, shake off excess buttermilk and coat with flour.
- Dip again in buttermilk, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In large heavy skillet (cast iron is best), heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Fry fish about 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness, or until fish will flake away with a fork.
This is a very tasty way to make catfish! I really enjoyed the flavors, however I think I will add just a bit more spices next time I make it. I think I would have enjoyed a bit more of the last few spices. The cayenne really adds a wonderful taste to the coating. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. I will be making this again in the future :-)