1/2 Photos of Blooming Onion
A take off from Outback! Yes fattening!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sweet vidalia onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- oil (for frying)
- 1Beat together the egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
- 2Combine the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, cumin and old bay in a separate bowl.
- 3Slice 3/4" to 1" off the top and bottom of the onion and remove skin.
- 4Cut out a 1" core and slice about 3/4 of the way down to create petals.
- 5Place the onion in boiling water to separate the petals.
- 6Let cool.
- 7Dip the onion into the milk mixture.
- 8Dip the coated onion into the flour mixture, covering liberally.
- 9Repeat process.
- 10Let onion set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before frying.
- 11Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pot to 350 degrees.
- 12Fry the onion right side up for 10 minutes until brown.
- 13Drain on a rack or paper towel.
- 14Combine ingredients for dipping sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blooming Onion
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.5
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 56.5 mg
- Sodium 1495.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning