A take off from Outback! Yes fattening!
Make and share this Blooming Onion recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large sweet vidalia onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried parsley
- Beat together the egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, cumin and old bay in a separate bowl.
- Slice 3/4" to 1" off the top and bottom of the onion and remove skin.
- Cut out a 1" core and slice about 3/4 of the way down to create petals.
- Place the onion in boiling water to separate the petals.
- Let cool.
- Dip the onion into the milk mixture.
- Dip the coated onion into the flour mixture, covering liberally.
- Repeat process.
- Let onion set in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pot to 350 degrees.
- Fry the onion right side up for 10 minutes until brown.
- Drain on a rack or paper towel.
- Combine ingredients for dipping sauce and serve.