My Mom has been making these since I was a kid. It is a meal that my whole family enjoys (minus my brother as he hates mushrooms!). She use to make them by placing flour, breadcrumbs and eggs in three separate bowls. It took forever! I use Tupperware and old margarine containers to shake the mushrooms in. Quick, easy and less mess.
- 1 (8 ounce) package mixed mushrooms (button, mini bellas, cremini, etc.)
- 2 -3 eggs, beaten (usually two is enough but it depends on the size of your mushrooms)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups fine breadcrumbs (add more if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- seasoning salt (if necessary, bread crumbs may be salty enough)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Place enough vegetable oil into a deep frying pan on low-medium heat. (I generally place in enough oil so that the bottom half of my mushrooms are submerged. You can always add more.).
- You do not want the oil bubbling wildly. Adjust temperature accordingly when you place the mushrooms in (a low simmer is nice.).
- Wash mushrooms and cut off tips of stems.
- If the mushrooms are really big (such as stuffing mushrooms) cut them in half or even quarters. Otherwise, leave whole.
- Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three large, separate Tupperware containers.
- Mix pepper, garlic powder and salt in with the breadcrumbs.
- Place mushrooms in with the flour. Cover and shake until mushrooms are well coated.
- Transfer mushrooms to Tupperware dish that has the beaten eggs in it. Cover and shake again until mushrooms are evenly coated.
- Lastly, transfer mushrooms to final Tupperware container that has the breadcrumbs in it. NOTE: It is better to do this step in two batches as sometimes if there are not enough breadcrumbs the mushrooms do not get a nice even coat and look instead like they are covered in a lumpy batter.).
- Place mushrooms in oil carefully and cook until bottoms are browned. Flip over and continue cooking until entire mushrooms are cooked through.
- Mushrooms are done when gently crisp and the breading no longer appears wet looking.
- Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon and place on plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or dip them into your favourite sauce (such as Ranch).
- *Optional: add some additional herbs or Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs to give the recipe a more professional appearance like that in the restaurants.