1/1 Photo of Broken Spoke's Chicken-Fried Steak
Miss Annie's Note:
Chicken-Fried Steak is so 'Texas', and the Austin dance hall has one of the best in the state. One of the old traditional ways to tenderize the beef was to pound the "heck" out of it with a Coke bottle or saucer. Rich, peppery gravy is a must for a successful chicken-fried steak. I recommend a round steak, pounded into tender submission by hand rather than machine-tenderized cube steaks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cracker meal
- 2 beef cutlet, hand-tenderized (3 oz. to 5 oz.)
- vegetable shortening
- 1Whip together egg, buttermilk, salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- 2Blend together flour and cracker meal in another bowl.
- 3Place cutlet in mixture, and cover both sides well.
- 4Submerge the cutlet in the egg batter; then place back in the flour mixture, patting both sides again evenly to coat.
- 5Melt shortening in a deep fryer (or cast-iron skillet), and heat to 325ºF.
- 6Place cutlet in fryer and fry until it floats and turns golden.
- 7Remove steak from fryer, drain well, reserving 1/2 cup drippings for gravy.
- 8To Make Cream Gravy: Place reserved drippings in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet, and heat until hot.
- 9Gradually add flour, and cook over low heat until mixture turns brown, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- 10Add remaining ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- 11If gravy gets too thick, thin to desired consistency with water.
- 12Note: This recipe makes enough gravy for 4 steaks.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broken Spoke's Chicken-Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (868 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.0
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 264.1 mg
- Sodium 648.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: