1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Tasty chicken from the local newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour 1/2 cup of the buttermilk into a shallow dish just large enough to hold the chicken.
- 2Use your hand to flatten the chicken to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- 3Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, turning to coat completely.
- 4In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, 1/4 cup of the flour, the pepper and salt.
- 5Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal patting the the mixture to coat the chicken all over.
- 6In a large frypan, heat the oil.
- 7Fry the chicken over medium high heat, turning once, until it is cooked through and the coating is dark golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
- 8Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 9Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into the pan drippings and cook, stirring constantly until the flour paste takes on a golden colour, about 2 minutes.
- 10Whisk in the broth and remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- 11Cook, stirring up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the gravy is bubbly.
- 12Reduce the heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 13Season with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- 14Serve the chicken with the gravy ladled over it.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.4
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.2 mg
- Sodium 653.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 31.2 g