Tasty chicken from the local newspaper.
Make and share this Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the buttermilk into a shallow dish just large enough to hold the chicken.
- Use your hand to flatten the chicken to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, turning to coat completely.
- In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, 1/4 cup of the flour, the pepper and salt.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal patting the the mixture to coat the chicken all over.
- In a large frypan, heat the oil.
- Fry the chicken over medium high heat, turning once, until it is cooked through and the coating is dark golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into the pan drippings and cook, stirring constantly until the flour paste takes on a golden colour, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth and remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- Cook, stirring up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the gravy is bubbly.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Season with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken with the gravy ladled over it.