Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty chicken from the local newspaper.
Make and share this Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Pour 1/2 cup of the buttermilk into a shallow dish just large enough to hold the chicken.
- Use your hand to flatten the chicken to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, turning to coat completely.
- In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, 1/4 cup of the flour, the pepper and salt.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal patting the the mixture to coat the chicken all over.
- In a large frypan, heat the oil.
- Fry the chicken over medium high heat, turning once, until it is cooked through and the coating is dark golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into the pan drippings and cook, stirring constantly until the flour paste takes on a golden colour, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth and remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- Cook, stirring up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the gravy is bubbly.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Season with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken with the gravy ladled over it.
This is the BEST fried chicken I've ever made!!! Crispy, but not greasy, with a fabulous gravy that blew me away!! I couldn't be more pleased with this recipe, Derf...thank you so much...this truly is fantastic !! Teresa
Wow! This is amazing! I put a tbsp of Adobe in the flour mixture for some zing. A keeper for sure!!! Thank you for sharing!!! xo LA :-)
This was my first attempt at fried chicken in any form, and I was satisfied with the results. Very easy recipe, although I think I need a little practice. not a big fan of the cornmeal because I thought it was a little too tough rather than crunchy, but that could have been me cooking it too long. I loved how the buttermilk coated the chicken, way better than using an egg mixture. The gravy... mmm....I"m sorry, I was drooling. ;-) Definitely going to make this again.