Fried chicken at its best. The coating on this is so crispy and delicious you will never fry chicken any other way again. Edited to add: If you have the time, try soaking your chicken in the buttermilk all day or even over night. This makes for some very moist chicken.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; set aside.
- Fill a large frying pan to 1/2 its depth with cooking oil.
- Heat to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour, dill weed, garlic salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Fill another bowl with the buttermilk.
- Place chicken, one piece at a time in the buttermilk.
- Shake of excess milk.
- Coat lightly in flour mixture.
- Shake off excess flour.
- Dip again in the butter milk and the flour mixture.
- Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time skin side down for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken to fry 12 to 15 minutes longer or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.