1/3 Photos of Buttermilk Southern Fried Chicken
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and pat dry.
- 2Place chicken in a long, shallow glass baking dish.
- 3Pour the buttermilk over the chicken, cover and refrigerate for a least 4 hours, turning once or twice. In a clean plastic or brown paper bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and if desired the garlic and onion powders.
- 4Drain the chicken and place two or three pieces of chicken in the bag and shake well to coat evenly.
- 5Repeat until all chicken has been coated with seasoned flour mixture. In a large, heavy skillet, heat about one-half of oil over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- 6Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and brown on all sides, about three minutes per side. Place browned chicken on a warm platter until all pieces are cooked.
- 7When all the chicken pieces are browned, crowd them into the skillet, turn heat to medium-low, cover and cook, turning occasionally, until tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- 8Remove cover, turn heat to medium-high and cook six to eight minutes more or until skin is crispy.
- 9Serve at once. Serves 4.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Southern Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.3
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 175.6 mg
- Sodium 1451.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 49.7 g