Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A yummy version of friend Catfish with a bit more zip than the typical recipes. If you like fried Catfish, I think you'll like this.
- 5 lbs catfish fillets
- 1⁄2 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 quart cooking oil (enough to deep fry the fish)
- Preheat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 375°F.
- Cut the fish into 2 to 3 ounce pieces.
- Combine mustard, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cream, water, and wine in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Put the white cornmeal in a food processor and blend at high speed for about 2 minutes; It will make the mixture much finer.
- Pour the mixture into another large, dry mixing bowl and add the flour and remaining ingredients, except for the cooking oil.
- Mix well together until well blended; coat the fish pieces in the mustard mixture, then roll the fish in the dry cornmeal/flour mixture.
- Fry the fish in a deep fat fryer at 375°F; the fish should float to the top of the grease and turn a golden brown.
- Remove from the fryer and drain on a stack of dry paper towels.
- This makes awesome Po' Boy's or just plain old fish sandwiches.