I watched my Grandmother make pies. During Christmas season my Grandmother and Great Aunts ( I was always in her skirt tails) would get together and make every kind of pie and cakes they knew. I am talking days and days of baking. I watched and helped. I was in Heaven. I was also the only child that wanted to be there. So I got all the attention and schooling. I loved it. So I don't know exactly who taught me but it was one of them. I had to stop and write the recipe due to it was in my head and not on paper. It is a warm feeling everytime I make them.
- 5 lbs ground meat
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- Brown ground meat only till all brown.
- add the rest of ingredients and simmer till all are cooked down.
- drain in a strainer let sit in strainer to cool down set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix eggs and milk.
- add to dry ingredients slowly while stiring.
- add shorting and cut in with pastry cutter or two knives.
- when well mixed form balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- roll out ball with rolling pen.
- cut out in about a 6 inch circle.
- use wet paper towle to wet around outer circle.
- put about 2 tablespoons of meat filling in center.
- fold over crust to form like a half moon
- press edges to seal with fingers.
- use a fork to repress edges and give a decortive look.
- when all are done put in fridge for at least an hour or till ready to fry.
- fry in very hot oil.
- turn when golden brown and fry other side.
- frying is very fast do not over fry meat is already cooked.
- can freeze unfried only.
- wrap indivdually in wax paper put several in zip lock bags freeze flat.
- after frozen then can stack as will.
This was great. Wonderful for a snack. I will make these again.