1/1 Photo of Cajun Mini Meat Pies
Chef Cajun Deb's Note:
I watched my Grandmother make pies. During Christmas season my Grandmother and Great Aunts ( I was always in her skirt tails) would get together and make every kind of pie and cakes they knew. I am talking days and days of baking. I watched and helped. I was in Heaven. I was also the only child that wanted to be there. So I got all the attention and schooling. I loved it. So I don't know exactly who taught me but it was one of them. I had to stop and write the recipe due to it was in my head and not on paper. It is a warm feeling everytime I make them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs ground meat
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 2Brown ground meat only till all brown.
- 3add the rest of ingredients and simmer till all are cooked down.
- 4drain in a strainer let sit in strainer to cool down set aside.
- 6Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- 7Mix eggs and milk.
- 8add to dry ingredients slowly while stiring.
- 9add shorting and cut in with pastry cutter or two knives.
- 10when well mixed form balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- 11roll out ball with rolling pen.
- 12cut out in about a 6 inch circle.
- 13use wet paper towle to wet around outer circle.
- 14put about 2 tablespoons of meat filling in center.
- 15fold over crust to form like a half moon
- 16press edges to seal with fingers.
- 17use a fork to repress edges and give a decortive look.
- 18when all are done put in fridge for at least an hour or till ready to fry.
- 19fry in very hot oil.
- 20turn when golden brown and fry other side.
- 21frying is very fast do not over fry meat is already cooked.
- 22can freeze unfried only.
- 23wrap indivdually in wax paper put several in zip lock bags freeze flat.
- 24after frozen then can stack as will.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Mini Meat Pies
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.9
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 1004.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: