1/2 Photos of Calamari Special
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is one of the nicest and best tasting calamari recipes that I have eaten. I find that the calamari is not tough as I have experienced in many restaurants. A friend Chef and I developed this marvelous recipe that is so easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Firstly, prepare a deep-fryer with a good vegetable oil and heat to 375 degrees F, or use a medium size deep frying pan on high heat.
- 2Defrost calamari and rinse under cold running water.
- 3Cut calamari into 1/4 inch strips. If using fresh calamari, just cut into 1/4 inch strips. Pat dry calamari with paper towels.
- 4In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together flour and Panko bread crumbs.
- 5Add milk to a bowl and dip calamari in the milk.
- 6Toss calamari strips in flour/crumb mixture just to coat. You do not want to have a heavy coating as it could drop off when frying.
- 7Flash fry coated calamari in prepared deep-fryer or frying pan for about 15 seconds, deep frying in small amounts.
- 8In a frying pan, heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to medium-high heat.
- 9Add garlic and Sambal Oelek and stir well, cover with a screen to prevent oil from spattering or splashing.
- 10Sauté flash-fried calamari for about 1 minute or until nicely light brown. Do not over fry as it could get chewy.
- 11Serve calamari with your favorite dip.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calamari Special
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.6
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 34.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: