This is one of the nicest and best tasting calamari recipes that I have eaten. I find that the calamari is not tough as I have experienced in many restaurants. A friend Chef and I developed this marvelous recipe that is so easy to prepare.
- Firstly, prepare a deep-fryer with a good vegetable oil and heat to 375 degrees F, or use a medium size deep frying pan on high heat.
- Defrost calamari and rinse under cold running water.
- Cut calamari into 1/4 inch strips. If using fresh calamari, just cut into 1/4 inch strips. Pat dry calamari with paper towels.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together flour and Panko bread crumbs.
- Add milk to a bowl and dip calamari in the milk.
- Toss calamari strips in flour/crumb mixture just to coat. You do not want to have a heavy coating as it could drop off when frying.
- Flash fry coated calamari in prepared deep-fryer or frying pan for about 15 seconds, deep frying in small amounts.
- In a frying pan, heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and Sambal Oelek and stir well, cover with a screen to prevent oil from spattering or splashing.
- Sauté flash-fried calamari for about 1 minute or until nicely light brown. Do not over fry as it could get chewy.
- Serve calamari with your favorite dip.