Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was inspired to create a flavor fusion of Japanese tempura with delectable Caribbean ingredients. My picky nine-year-old ate onions and red peppers without even knowing it and loved this!
- Peel sweet potato and cut into round slices. Cut red pepper into strips. Cut red onion into wide rings.
- Prepare batter by whisking cold water into egg yolks. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and coconut in all at once and stir just to mix.
- Prepare dipping sauce by combining rum, beef stock, ginger, salt, brown sugar and minced garlic clove. Bring to a low boil. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk until thickened to desired consistency. Turn heat down to lowest setting to keep warm.
- Dip vegetables into batter and fry in hot oil either in a fry pan on the stove or in deep fryer till outside is crispy. Note: the sweet potatoes take a little longer to fry through so that they are soft. Test with a fork to determine if they are done.
- Serve with sauce and enjoy.