A company catfish dinner from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Patrick Mould of Hub City Diner, as featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. Serve with steamed white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 celery, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 cup shrimp stock or 1 cup clam juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio are all very good)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce)
- salt, to taste
- 4 ounces shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 1 tablespoon green onions or 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (fresh is best)
- 1Make roux: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small pan and add the flour; cook over low heat for about five minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- 2Set to the side.
- 3Heat remaining oil over medium heat in another saucepan; add vegetables and cook for two minutes, taking care not to scorch the garlic.
- 4Add shrimp stock or clam juice, wine, seasoned salt, paprika, tabasco and salt.
- 5Whisk in the roux and cook until thickened, about three minutes.
- 6Add cooked shrimp, green onions and parsley; simmer for a minute.
- 7Keep warm.
- 8To make catfish: Heat six inches of oil in a large, heavy pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- 9Beat eggs and milks until combined; add 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- 10Stir remaining seasoned salt into flour.
- 11Dredge the fish in flour, dip into egg mixture, then flour again.
- 12Drop the fish into the hot oil and fry until golden, about five minutes.
- 13To serve: Top the catfish with warm sauce and serve over steamed white rice.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Catfish Louisiana
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 851.5
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 258.8 mg
- Sodium 475.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 53.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: