Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have not tried this, but it just sounds soooo good to me!
Make and share this Cheesy Deep-Fried Hush Puppies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, onion, flour, salt, baking soda, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, egg and lemon juice; fold into cornmeal mixture, along with cheese.
- Mix just until blended.
- In a large pot or an electric frying pan, pour in vegetable oil to a 2-inch depth; heat to 350F.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot oil; turn to brown evenly.
- Cook, turning frequently, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain.
- Serve immediately.
We had these with chili tonight and my family really enjoyed them. I made them a little too big, but other then that, they were great! Thanks Lennie!
I really liked these. Had them with blackened catfish. I also made them a bit too big, but they were delicious!