Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I had this delightful chicken and also beef curry deep-fried in a coconut in Fiji. I had to come up with my own ingredients and how to cook the coconut as the chefs would not divulge the way he prepared the curry or coconut. This recipe takes a while to prepare, but is well worth the effort. The flavor of the young coconut permeates through the curried mixture when deep-fried and is very tasty.
BEER BATTER MIXTURE FOR COCONUT
- 6 fluid ounces light beer
- 5⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Hungarian paprika or 3⁄4 teaspoon regular paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large young green coconut (the green is cut away when purchased in stores and the color is white)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 small whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 fluid ounces fresh coconut juice, reserved from young coconut
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped small
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- enough vegetable oil, for deep frying to completely cover coconut
- BEER BATTER.
- Measure beer into a mixing bowl.
- Add flour and mix with a fork until blended and smooth.
- Add salt, paprika, baking powder and mix well.
- Prepare this mixture at least 1 hour before coating coconut.
- CHICKEN CURRY.
- Remove the top of the young coconut by using a heavy sharp knife or a cleaver; tap knife with a hammer to help cut the coconut. Reserve cap to be used later. Pour coconut liquid into a bowl and reserve.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces.
- Add olive oil, chicken pieces and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- You may also use half white meat and half dark meat if desired.
- Stir in turmeric, curry powder, chili powder, whole cloves, cinnamon stick, grated ginger root, grated garlic, salt, cardamom and stir well to coat chicken.
- Add coconut liquid, onion, potato, celery, grated carrot and cayenne pepper; stir to mix.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in whipping cream and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring freqently.
- Spoon curried mixture into coconut.
- Replace the cap of the coconut.
- Spoon batter mixture over entire coconut to coat well.
- Heat oil to 375 F in a narrow tall pot or a deep fryer.
- Pot should be large enough to accomodate the coconut with at least one inch space all around for the cooking oil.
- Carefully lower the coated coconut into the hot oil using 2 forks.
- Deep fry for 30 minutes.
- When done, remove coconut from the hot oil with a 2 prong fork or use 2 forks.
- Remove coconut cap carefully as the curry mixture will be steaming.
- Spoon curried mixture out of the coconut and serve over hot cooked rice.
- You may also eat the deep fried coating on the coconut.
- You may also substitute and use beef of your choice instead of chicken.
- If you have mixture left over when you fill the coconut, fry mixture for about 15 minutes and serve along with the coconut deep fried mixture.
- For those who are fortunate and can get a whole, fresh green coconut, DO NOT PEEL the exterior, use the coconut as is.