Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Crunchy coating, delicious comfort food. Topped with creamy white gravy. A Texas delicacy. I first ate this at a restaurant in Texas.
- Beat egg with 2 Tablespoons milk.
- Salt and pepper all sides of meat.
- Dredge in flour, dip in egg, then again in flour covering all the meat.
- Let sit for 30 minutes so that the coating will stay on.
- Fill a deep fry pot with oil and heat to 400 degrees.
- Or if you don't have a thermometer, when the oil spits out of the pot when you drop a drop of water in the pot, it's ready.
- I find that this is better than pan frying.
- However, if you want to pan fry, heat about 1 inch of oil.
- When the oil spits out of the pan when you drop a drop of water in the pan, it's ready.
- Cook until golden brown, trying not to turn it but once, if pan frying.
- Put in warming oven.
- Pour out all but 2 Tablespoons of oil and add 2-3 Tablespoons of flour and make a roux.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of warm milk.
- Cook until smooth and thick.
- Gravy is excellent to top off mashed potatoes as a side dish.