Jenny Frenny's Note:
This is not the recipe you need if you are in a hurry, but if you have the time, it is worth the wait! I have adapted it from a Cook's Illustrated recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the fried steak
- 4 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 cube steaks
- 5 cups peanut oil
For the gravy
- 1Set your oven to the "warm" temperature or about 200 degrees. Either place a wire cookie cooling rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet or line a baking sheet with paper towels. Set in oven.
- 2Mix the flour, salt and peppers in a dish to dredge the meat.
- 3In another similar dish put the beaten eggs, baking power, baking soda and buttermilk. Mix well. Some foaming is to be expected.
- 4Very gently pick up a steak and lightly dry with a paper towel. Lay the steak in the flour mixture on both sides to coat evenly.
- 5Pick up steak from the flour with tongs and lay each side in the egg/buttermilk mixture to evenly coat.
- 6Place in the flour once more to coat both sides evenly.
- 7Repeat process with each steak. Lay prepared steaks ready to fry on another cookie cooling wire rack to keep the coating intact.
- 8Bring 1 inch of of peanut oil in a deep pan or dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- 9Fry each steak 2 1/2 minutes each side, until the crust is a deep golden brown. Be sure the oil is back up to 375 and 1 inch deep for each batch.
- 10Drain each steak on a paper towel for a moment then place on the rack in the warm oven.
- 11Once the steaks are done, strain the oil into an extra pan. Put the crumbs in the strainer back in the used frying pan along with 2 tablespoons of the hot oil.
- 12Brown the onion in the oil, then add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds more. Add the flour to the pan and stir with a whisk to brown the flour.
- 13Add the broth,stirring with the whisk constantly, then the milk, salt and pepper.
- 14Bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to simmer until the gravy starts to thicken.
- 15Serve the steaks with the gravy spooned over top.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2012.4
- Calories from Fat 1671
- Total Fat 185.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.8 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 2462.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: