Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Saw this recipe on Food Network. Good Eats. Looks like something my family will enjoy! Putting here for safe keeping! ;) Looks a lot like how I make chicken parmesan, will try it with the compound butter... not big on tarragon (licorice flavor) not using full amount suggested (1 tsp) but tweaked to my family's taste.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon (original recipe calls for 1 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large whole eggs, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups Japanese-style bread crumbs, plus 1/4 cup for filling (panko)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine butter, parsley, tarragon, 1 teaspoon salt, italian seasoning, bay leaves and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer. Place mixture on plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll into small log; place in freezer.
- Place chicken breasts, 1 at a time, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Squirt chicken lightly with water and squirt the top of the plastic wrap as well. Pound to no less than 1/8-inch thickness. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 chicken breast on a new piece of plastic wrap and place 1/4 of the compound butter and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs in the center of each breast. Using the plastic wrap to assist, fold in ends of breast and roll breast into a log, completely enclosing the butter; roll very tightly. Repeat with each breast. Place chicken in refrigerator for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Place egg and water mixture in 1 pie pan and 2 cups bread crumbs in a different pie pan.
- Heat 1/2-inch of vegetable oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375 degrees F.
- Dip each breast in the egg mixture and then roll in the bread crumbs. Gently place each breast in oil, sealed-side down, and cook until golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove to a cooling rack set in sheet pan and allow to drain for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.