This recipe is from Extending the Table. These can be served as an appetizer or side dish (1 or 2 per person) or as a main dish with some rice (2-3 per person). Lumpia can also be made ahead and frozen - just reheat in the microwave.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small tomato, cut into thin strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup French style green bean (frozen or fresh)
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, shredded
- 18 egg roll wraps
- oil (for frying)
- In a large nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, garlic, bouillon cubes, pepper, and tomato for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken. Do not add water. Cook for 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Add salt, mushrooms, and green beans. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage. Stir well and saute 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Once mixture is cool, start rolling: Place 1 wrapper in front of you, diagonally (so it looks like a diamond, not a square).
- Put about 1/2 cup filling in a rectangular mound in the middle of the wrapper.
- Fold bottom point up, and then side points into the middle.
- Moisten the top edge with water, and roll the bottom up, until you have a long thin cylinder.
- Continue for the other 17 wrappers.
- NOTE: Do not make these too wet when you seal them, and lay them out in one layer, not touching each other if possible. Otherwise they will stick to each other, and you'll never get them apart cleanly. Experience talking here. :).
- Fry lumpia in several inches of oil heated to 375 degrees F for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.