I have been trying out many chicken wing recipes and finally came up with a recipe that is easy to make, quick to cook and has a nice crunchy coating and it tastes so good.
- 12 chicken mid-joint wings
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sriracha hot chili sauce, See Note
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 -2 cup canola oil or 1 -2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Remove wing tips and any loose skin and discard. Leave the remaining skin on if desired.
- Rinse wings in cold water, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a large zip-loc bag, combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper and paprika, shake well.
- Add chicken to the zip-loc bag, seal and toss to coat well. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours. "Chilling the chicken wings is important to achieve nice, crispy wings.".
- In a mixing bowl add Panko bread crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until frothy.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and shake off any excess flour coating.
- Dip coated chicken in the egg mixture, then roll in the Panko bread crumbs until well coated.
- In a heavy bottom 12 inch frying pan or skillet, add oil and heat to 375°F.
- Place chicken in the pan with the main meat side up and fry for 6 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to fry for another 6 minutes. The wings should be nicely browned.
- Test for doneness by making a cut into the thick portion of the wing to make sure there is no pink showing.
- Remove chicken from the frying pan onto paper towels to absorb any excess oil, and immediately place in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, add butter, Sriracha hot chili sauce, black pepper, granulated garlic powder and heat just to boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour the hot sauce over the chicken wings and toss to coat well.
- Serve immediately or while they are still hot.
- You may also freeze the chicken after it is cooked and then reheated in a preheated 400 F oven for 10 minutes.
- NOTE: You may also use the following choices of hot sauces.
- 1 tablespoon of Red Hot Sauce - wings will be medium hot.
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce - wings will be hot.
- 2 teaspoons of Sambal Oelek - wings will be very hot.