A favorite from a local restaurant no longer in business. Not an authentic Mexican chile relleno, but a crispy, flaky version.
- Drain green chiles.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on sheet pan.
- Open up chile and place on egg roll wrapper with corner facing you.
- Place cheese stick on chile and roll up, tucking in corners and moistening edges to seal.
- Toss in cornstarch, dusting liberally.
- (Can be made up to this point a day ahead. Leave in cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate.) Shake off excess cornstarch and deep fry in 350 oil to cover until lightly golden and cheese just starts to ooze out.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in 250 oven.
- Serve as a side dish or appetizer with your favorite Mexican meal.
- Add your favorite condi- ments/sauces.