A favorite from a local restaurant no longer in business. Not an authentic Mexican chile relleno, but a crispy, flaky version.
- Drain green chiles.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on sheet pan.
- Open up chile and place on egg roll wrapper with corner facing you.
- Place cheese stick on chile and roll up, tucking in corners and moistening edges to seal.
- Toss in cornstarch, dusting liberally.
- (Can be made up to this point a day ahead. Leave in cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate.) Shake off excess cornstarch and deep fry in 350 oil to cover until lightly golden and cheese just starts to ooze out.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in 250 oven.
- Serve as a side dish or appetizer with your favorite Mexican meal.
- Add your favorite condi- ments/sauces.
WOW! When you need a Mexican fix, this is the recipe to try. These are so easy to make and really hit the spot! I love the idea of being able to prepare them ahead of time. Thank you for sharing this. :-)
Grandma Pam, Oh my goodness,these were so easy to do,and they were so very good. We dipped them in salsa,and they were a hit with my husband. Thank you so much!!! Darlene Summers
OMG! If I could give this recipe more than 5 stars I would! I loved the ease of prep, and the flavor was awesome! I wasn't sure which size can to use, and realized that 1 4 oz was not nearly enough...it only had 3 chiles in it. hehe So I would recommend at least 3 of those. I made up a green gravy to serve with these as well that I will be posting. Deeeeelicious!!!