Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Enjoy a spicy starter with this recipe for chili-flavoured chicken wings served with a tasty blue cheese dip. Prep time does not include 1 hour marinating.
- 24 chicken wings
- 7⁄8 cup hot pepper sauce
- 7⁄8 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- vegetable oil, for deep fat-frying
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 green apples, cut into slices
- 2 carrots, sliced for crudites
- 2 celery ribs, chopped for crudites
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl. Pour over half the hot pepper sauce and mix throughly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the blue cheese dip. Mix together the sour cream, heavy cream, lemon juice, shallot and garlic.
- Crumble the blue cheese, add and whisk until smooth. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, a dash of the hot pepper sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Season the flour with generous pinches of paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Beat the eggs with the milk to make an egg wash.
- Coat the marinated wings in the seasoned flour. Dip each wing in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Coat the wings in the seasoned flour for a second time.
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a wok or deep fat-fryer.
- Fry the wings in batches for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove the fried wings with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the wings on a warm serving plate. Drizzle over the remaining hot pepper sauce and sprinkle over the cilantro. Add the butter and toss well.
- Serve the wings hot or cold with the blue cheese dip plus apple, carrot and celery crudites.