1/2 Photos of Chilli Chicken - Chinese style
1 hr 10 mins
Prep time includes marination time. A permanent item on the table when the flavor is Chinese! It freezes well, although there's never ever left to do so! Also, as a variation, I often follow the recipe till the marination and frying, while omitting the rest, and serve them as chicken fritters for snacks. Goes very well with drinks too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped into one inch bits
- 6 small green chilies, slit length ways
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped into one inch pieces
- 1 shallot, diagonally sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 pinch msg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil, for deep frying chicken
- 1Make a batter with the'Marinade' ingredients.
- 2Put chicken pieces into it and mix well.
- 3Set aside for 1/2 hour.
- 4Heat oil, about 2 inches deep, in a wok/frypan.
- 5Fry chicken pieces, in batches of 6-8 pieces, till cooked through (approx 7-8 mins for each batch).
- 6Drain fried chicken on a paper towel.
- 7When all the chicken pieces are fried, remove oil from the pan, letting about 2 tablespoons remain in it.
- 8In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and water.
- 9Put back the wok on fire and heat the 2 tblsps of oil.
- 10Add green chillies, garlic, green pepper and shallot and stir fry for 30 secsonds.
- 11Pour in soya sauce and vinegar; give it two three quick whisks and immediately add the cornstarch-water mixture.
- 12The sauce will thicken; if you find it too thick, add some more water.
- 13When the bubbles appear, add the fried chicken pieces.
- 14Add salt and a pinch of MSG (if using).
- 15Stir fry chicken for 2 minutes and remove from fire.
- 16Serve hot with chinese fried rice/plain rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli Chicken - Chinese style
Serving Size: 1 (623 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.1
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 278.6 mg
- Sodium 1733.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 68.1 g