Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Way back in high school in my Home Economics class, we made these African cookies. I just found the recipe again digging through an old box. I remember them being delicious, and I hope you'll find them the same.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in medium bowl.
- Stir in egg and milk until mixture is crumbly.
- With hands, work in butter until well blended.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 1 inch of oil to 365 degrees F.
- On lightly floured board with floured rolling pin, roll out half of dough to 1/16 inch thickness.
- With pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 3 x 2 inch diamonds.
- Make a slit in center of each diamond and pull an end through the slit.
- Repeat with remaining dough until gone.
- Fry a few pieces at a time in hot oil until golden; drain on paper towels; cool.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.