1 hr 15 mins
Crisp fried chicken strips in a sweet sauce. Despite the name there is no honey in this recipe. I have not yet tried it, it is for an ISO request on the recipe board. Note: When the recipe was first posted, there were an additional 2 Tablespoons of salt listed in the batter. This was a typo and never should have been there. Several reviewers alerted me to the error, and the extra salt listing has been removed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1MIX THE BATTER INGREDIENTS together in a medium-sized bowl; it should be thick and smooth.
- 2Allow the batter to sit, covered for at least 30 minutes.
- 3Combine the chicken with the batter.
- 4Heat a wok or large deep skillet until it is hot and add the oil for frying.
- 5When the oil is barely smoking, deep-fry the chicken for 2 minutes or until the batter is just firm.
- 6You should do this in several batches.
- 7Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 8TO MAKE SAUCE: Heat a small saucepan; when it is hot, add the oil, ginger and garlic, and stir for 30 seconds.
- 9Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 10Keep warm.
- 11Reheat the oil in the wok until it is very hot, but not smoking.
- 12Deep-fry the chicken again until it is golden and crisp, about 1 minute.
- 13Remove and drain, place on a warm platter, drizzle with the sauce (and sprinkle with the optional toasted sesame seeds if desired) and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Honey Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1426.0
- Calories from Fat 1172
- Total Fat 130.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 161.8 mg
- Sodium 1104.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 39.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese white rice vinegar