1 hr 6 mins
Spring roll skins are also known as Shanghai-type spring roll skins and are available in some Asian markets. Lumpia skins, available in Philippine markets, may be substituted. Egg roll skins may also be substituted, but they are much thicker and not as nice as homemade spring roll skins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SPRING ROLL SKINS
SPRING ROLL FILLING
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thinly on diagonal
- 1 lb mung bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup matchstick-cut bamboo shoot
- 1/4 cup matchstick-cut water chestnut
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 lb flaked crabmeat
- 1/2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- Chinese mustard
- chili oil
- soy sauce
- 1FOR THE FILLING: Heat peanut oil in wok or skillet and stir-fry celery, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, soy and sugar 2 minutes.
- 2Stir in crab and remove from heat.
- 3Pour off any juices and add sesame oil, green onion, cornstarch and egg slivers.
- 4Cool and place 3 tablespoons of mixture on edge of spring roll skin.
- 5Place a coriander sprig on top and fold skin over twice.
- 6Then fold in sides and roll like jelly roll.
- 7Deep-fry, seam side down, in hot oil until crisp and golden.
- 8Drain, cut into 1-inch slices and serve immediately with mustard, chili oil and soy.
- 9Yield: approximately 18 spring rolls.
- 10EGG SLIVERS: Divide this recipe in half using only 2 eggs. Combine eggs, water and salt.
- 11Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add half the peanut oil and pour in half the egg mixture, tilting pan to coat surface.
- 12Cook until eggs are just set, moist but not runny.
- 13Bottom should be slightly golden.
- 14Turn out onto board and repeat with remaining oil and egg mixture.
- 15Let cool, roll and slice into slivers.
- 16SPRING ROLL SKINS: Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl.
- 17Add eggs and enough water to make a smooth, thin batter similar to crepe batter.
- 18Always beat batter in ONE DIRECTION to gain elasticity.
- 19Let stand 20 minutes.
- 20Lightly oil a 6-inch skillet or crepe pan and heat over low heat.
- 21Beat batter in same direction and pour 2 tablespoons into pan, tilting pan to cover entire surface with batter.
- 22Cook until set.
- 23Pancake should be sheer and pliable.
- 24When it shrinks away slightly from the edges, turn over and cook other side just to set.
- 25Remove to flat dish, cover with slightly dampened tea towel and repeat with remaining batter, oiling pan as necessary and being sure to stir in one direction each time.
- 26Yield: approximately 18 spring roll skins.
- 27Regional Cooking Of China.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Spring Rolls (Shanghai) Dim Sum
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.7 mg
- Sodium 269.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g