Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe to celebrate the Chinese New Year! I included the chilling time with the recipe. Some very nice and crunchy shrimp appetizers with a hot Asian sauce.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp or 1 lb frozen raw shrimp
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
RED SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- RED SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Have ready for shrimp.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- If shrimp are frozen do not thaw; peel under running cold water.
- Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp and devein.
- Slit shrimp lengthwise down the back almost in half.
- Mix eggs, the 1 tablespoon cornstarch, the wine, soy sauce and the 1/4 teaspoon salt in glass bowl; stir in shrimp.
- Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Heat oil(1-1/2 inches) in 3 quart saucepan to 375°F.
- Mix flour, water, the 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon oil, baking soda and the 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stir shrimp into batter until coated.
- Fry 5 or 6 shrimp at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; drain.
- Serve hot with sauce.