Souffléed chicken served with sugar snap peas & mushrooms over rice. I first found this recipe in 1985 in an old used cookbook (I think it was called Mrs. Wong's Chinese Cookbook). This recipe has been one of the most popular meals for my children and now my grandchildren. They are all grown up now, but they still call and ask for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken, processed in food processor
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 cup sugar snap pea
- 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1Peel and grate ginger.
- 2Finely mince garlic cloves.
- 3Mix ground chicken with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- 4Lightly beat and gently fold in egg whites.
- 5Thinly slice mushrooms.
- 6Chop water chestnuts.
- 7Heat peanut oil in wok to frying temperature of 375°.
- 8Drop chicken mixture by rounded spoonful 5 or 6 at a time.
- 9You should taste test to be sure seasoning is to your liking.
- 10Finish frying chicken.
- 11Drain oil from wok.
- 12Stir fry snap peas, mushrooms, water chestnuts.
- 13Return chicken to wok.
- 14Add chili paste & soy sauce.
- 15Stir corn starch and chicken stock together.
- 16Pour into wok and toss to coat meat & vegetables; allow to thicken.
- 17Serve over white rice.
- 18Ground chicken, chili paste, mushroom soy sauce and fresh shiitaki mushrooms can all be found in Asian markets.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Velvet Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 847.4
- Calories from Fat 687
- Total Fat 76.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 280.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 28.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mushroom soy sauce